The Clean Up Austin Legislative Action Plan is the creation of a coalition of grassroots activists and non-partisan organizations, promoting the crowd-sourced views of thousands of Texans around the state. The mission of this Action Plan is to highlight specific legislative solutions to eliminate special favors in the tax code, in government spending, and in the hallways of power.
Clean Up Austin Legislative Action Plan
- Defund the Slush Funds: Immediately defund the Enterprise Fund, Emerging Technology Fund, and the Major Events Trust Funds.
- Eliminate the Kickback Tax: Eliminate the $3 billion-plus Chapter 313 property tax rebate program that provides 95% tax exemptions for only a handful of entities.
- Sunset Tax Preferences: Identify each state and local tax preference authorized by state law and create a schedule under which they will be reviewed every six years.
- Strengthen Disclosure Requirements: Require lawmakers to report all contracts they, their spouses or their close relatives have with any government entities, and require lawmakers to report if they or any close family members have more than 50 percent ownership in a business that has a contract with such a government entity.
- Increase Pension Transparency: Decouple pensions of lawmakers and statewide officeholders from the salaries of state district court judges.
Take Action Now!
Ask Your Elected Officials to Pass
Good Government Reforms
If you are a concerned citizen, please take action by signing the Action Plan on this page and then calling your elected officials. Tell them to visit this site — CleanUpAustin.org — and sign the Clean Up Austin Legislative Action Plan. Demanding that your elected officials sign the pledge will help build momentum and media interest for good government next legislative session.
If you are an elected official, thank you so much for supporting good government. Your support reflects your willingness to listen to the citizens in your district and fight for their values. Please help by reaching out to fellow members to sign the Action Plan as well.